Monday, February 6, 2012

Lessons from a crossing guard

“Don’t live carelessly, unthinking. Make sure you understand what the Master wants.” Ephesians 5:17
The Message



The above passage is exactly what this blog is all about – living consciously and intentionally. I want to focus on learning how to live consciously and intentionally, not only looking for God in all things, but sharing Christ in all things!


It's easy to allow the smallest, most mundane items block us from both.


Last night, I volunteered to take a friend’s children to school this morning. Mason and I adjusted our schedules and proceeded accordingly. Everything was going great. . . . and, in hind-sight, all went well, after all.


First, let me do a little framing:
Last week, my wife called and asked me to pick-up my step-son from school – a completely different and new routine for me. However, a simple task I could and had the time to do. I arrive at his school about 15 minutes early and pulled in behind the few cars already waiting. As other cars began arriving, I noticed they kept passing me and the other early birds. Eventually, I decided I had pulled in behind those who not part of the “regular routine” either. We eventually caught-on and pulled forward with the herd.


After I had chosen my line and pulled forward, I place the car in park, shut off the engine, and continued waiting. Shortly afterwards, a very well manicured, nicely dressed mother got out of her Lexus SUV and approached me. Immediately, I summed her up as a tightly wound, class-conscious, arrogant, self-centered woman who was coming to scold, belittle, and/or demean me or “set me straight” – because I was recognized as a “newbie.” Funny how our minds race, isn’t it?


“What have I done?” I thought. It was a beautiful day and my window was already down. I braced myself for the experience, but was pleasantly surprised: “Sir, I know you don’t know, but you’re blocking the cross walk. You’ll need to back up just a little bit, before they dismiss or you’ll get yelled at.” She had genuine, authentic concern and care! What a refreshing surprise! What an authentic expression of “The Golden Rule!” What a truly refreshing experience. I gushed with appreciation, thanking her not only for telling me, but also the manner in which she did.


Being blessed!


Now, back to this morning:
We, of course, were being silly all the way to school, and arrived at our first destination. Our first destination was as new and unfamiliar to me as our next stop was old and familiar. The boys telling me where to turn, we arrived in the drop-off line. Proceeding through the line we’re cutting up and being silly, when suddenly I noticed children walking into the school from the cars behind me, while the traffic in front of me proceeded on and exited the line. I thought I had missed the drop-off point.


I panicked! Confused and in an unfamiliar routine at an unfamiliar location, I stopped and told the youngest to get out. At the exact same time, I noticed what I assumed was a faculty member directing traffic. She angrily pointed at me and yelled, “Move up!” “MOVE UP!” She continued, as she repeatedly and very forcefully pointed to the ground with a firm, rigid our stretched finger – apparently the spot to which she wanted me to proceed. Her face grew red and her lips tightened; she was angry. We knew she had grown angry and irritated immediately and her easily distinguishable body language clearly confirmed such!


I turned to look over my left should and my youngest passenger was still exiting the car. So, I turned back around to face the faculty member and slowly stated, “I’m not moving while a child is getting out the car.” She either didn’t understand or didn’t care. At this point, she stepped out in front of me, shook her head, rolled her eyes in disgust, and yelled, “Keep moving!” I paused, took a breath, and quickly assessed the situation in toto.


Being an educator myself and having worked such duties, I know she probably didn’t want to be there, had a thousand other things needing her attention, and here I was ruining her Monday morning even further by not “falling in-line” with the other parents and doing as instructed by NOT PULLING FORWARD – whatever the reason!


By the way, the spot where she was standing was approximately 10 feet in front of my car! Yes . . . . . 10’.


Her patience with me (in the 10 seconds all this transpired) - non-existent. As soon as she stepped out in front my car, I made the universal “OK” sign and slowly said/mouthed, “It’s OK. It’s OK.” She looked at me and stepped back onto the curb; her face began losing its terseness and ruddiness.


As my young passenger stepped up onto the sidewalk, I inched forward. I immediately moved my hands, held outstretched and level, up and lowered them with a huge grin on my face, while saying/mouthing, “Breath . . . breath. It’s going to be fine. Breath. It’s gonna be a great day!”


Believe it or not, I think she realized how ludicrous this scenario appeared to those around her, because she smiled, dropped her head slightly, apologized, and waved us on. At least that’s what I’d like to think.


Being a Blessing!


We are called to live intentionally and carefully. Think of the influence, great or small, we potentially have on all those with whom we come into contact on a daily basis: running errands, finding parking spaces, standing on checkout lines . . . . here’s your mission field, here’s your calling – live carefully!


Again, feel free to comment and share with your friends.


Thanks for visiting!

Mike

2 comments:

  1. Mike, I see myself very much in the first woman that helped you not get in trouble. Sadly however, I also see my self in the second woman who was irte about how you did not follow the instructions about how to be in line.

    I happen to agree with you that it most likely had a lot to do with her not wanting to be there but also, from watching the adults in our car line, irritation always at the ready for these parents who do not care about efficiency.

    I will try harder tomorrow to not pass judgement so easily at the driver in front of me that stops 15 feet from the front of the line and does not let her kid out there. she wants to be the front car when her child gets out. Regardless of the fact that I let my kids out ages ago.

    ... Yeah, I don't think I will get the patience for that one on the first attempt! Very proud of you for calming her down! "Don't live carelessly, unthinking..." that part is much easier than "make sure you know what the master wants". We would LOVE for it to say make sure you have a good idea of what you think He wants!

    I hope you have a *fabulous* rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting!!

      I agree, that second part is DIFFICULT!

      I'm a "routine driven" person and appreciate procedure. However, God has been chipping away at that OCD tendency the past two years and teaching me to go with the flow . . .seeing others as He does - at least some of the time!

      You have a blessed week!

      Delete